Search

Custom Search

Monday, May 12, 2008

Increases in Mass Transit Ridership

And it seems like just yesterday that my Uncle was complaining that no one uses the Denver Light Rail.

One bright side of the ever increasing price of gasoline is the fact that more and more people are switching to mass transit (where available). There have been modest increases in usage on North Eastern cities such as NY, DC, and Boston where Mass Transit is well established, but some Midwest and western cities are seeing double digit percentage increases in ridership. The Denver Transit is actually reaching capacity during rush hour. (I've ridden the Denver light rail, its is great and every time I have ridden it, I found a seat. In fact I think I laid down.)

Now lets just wait and see how much ridership needs to increase before OPEC gets scared and lowers prices. That seems to be what happens everytime it looks like the West might break its dependence on them.